Thursday, October 11, 2007

Isis Reed


September 14, 1999–October 11, 2007


i had to put my baby down this morning. her body ruined all her new blood and her levels all dropped. while i was on my way there to say goodbye, she went into cardiac arrest. i told the doctor not to resuscitate her. but i guess when they stopped, her heart kicked in a little bit. by the time i got there, she was alive but not conscious. then they did whatever they do to end her life. but it was awful and not instantaneous and i was screaming at them to make it go faster and they were going to kick me out.

my greatest fear about leaving koobi fora when i went to spain was that something was going to happen and she would die without me there. i never wanted them to die alone. and that is what i did to isis. she was sick and dying and i didn't get there in time to hold her one last time.
so after i ignored her all summer to take care of koobi fora then left her in the hospital for over a week all by herself, i let her die alone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Mary,

I have been following your blog regarding Isis's illness since Torie sent it a few days ago. I cannot express to you how very sorry I am to learn of Isis's demise but it certainly sounds as though you did everything to make her comfortable and aware of your love during her horrific illness. You sound like a model parent and I am so sorry at this sad end. I have two boyz, Oscar and Felix, and I cannot imagine one without the other. You have done an important deed by sharing this terrible time with other cat lovers and I hope that you and Koobi fora are making the difficult adjustment. You have moved me to tears pouring down my cheeks.

Lots of love and kisses to Koobi.
Della