Monday, October 22, 2007

guilt



every time i look at my nightstand i think about this night not long before isis went to the hospital. i had left a glass of water out and she knocked it over and water went everywhere and i yelled at her. but instead of yelling, i should have recognized her obsessive water drinking as a cry for help and taken her to the doctor then.

isis hated being left alone. even if it was just for a few minutes. when i would go to the basement to do laundry, i let koobi fora come with me. isis would sit at the top of the stairs meowing until we came back. i know she was so sad at the hospital. all alone all day for a week. the awful sounds and smells. and she died alone without me there.

1 comment:

Becky Malaria said...

Dear Mary,

I had a similar experience with a pet dying while I was away. I was brokenhearted at not being there for her in her last moments. My aunt told me that maybe Alice decided to do it that way because she loved me and so I would not have to be witness to her passing away. Who knows, cats are independent creatures and make their own decisions, it makes me feel better to think that there was maybe some consciousness behind how it happened. Although I am still sad, this helped me stop beating myself up about it in a way that was not helpful to myself nor to Alice's memory. Maybe Isis made that decision too.

Love to you and Koobi.